Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Minnesota 2011

It's taken a while, but I have finally sorted through all of the pictures from our recent trip to Gigi and Papa's house in Minnesota! We boated, and fished, and shot guns, and hiked, and planted stuff, and swam, and kayaked, and tie dyed, and drank, and ate, and picked veggies, and drank, and ate some more, and had SO MUCH FUN!!!

How on earth do I sum up such an amazing trip?! I will have to let the pictures do the narrating. I decided to group them by theme instead of chronologically.

First up is Fun times on the boat:


Upon arrival we hopped right in the boat for our nightly cocktail cruise.


Little H was very hesitant at first...which, as you'll see, is quite laughable to us now!



Safe and sound in Daddy's arms with her trusty green crayon



And the madness on the lake begins...Hadley is THE worst driver ever and Papa let her get away with murder out there!





MUCH better driver


And just like Hadley's last trip up north, it only took moments for Harper to become completely infatuated with the minnows.



Harper's infatuation was purely innocent, whereas Hadley just LOVED torturing them by holding them out of the water and poking them every chance she got!


My sexy bearded north woodsman!





Cutest little hood ornament


Our little thrill seekers! This was the girls' favorite thing to do on the boat.




Little princess hood ornament



She's hooked! Harper LOVES the water!

Fishing was also a regular occurrence up there. Hadley and I both caught our first fish this vacation! Aron was the big winner though, slamming fish every time he went out. He was on fire!!



Taking the relaxing part of fishing VERY seriously


Getting ready to clean and fillet Aron's first catch



Showing off our big haul...including MY fish!!


Mine's the big one :)


Trying not to look as Dick strung them up so I could show them off


And then one of the fish started flapping and flung poop and slime ON MY FACE!! Sick.



Like Trace Adkins said, "She thinks we're Just Fishin'"

Next up, Papa taught Hadley how to shoot a .22! He took the 3 of us out for a little target practice and Hadley LOVED it!


First things first: filling up the empty water bottle targets with gravel


Hadley and Papa placing the targets


Had's first lesson about guns


and gun safety!


Ready, aim, FIRE!


SUCCESS and all smiles!!


Off to retrieve the bottle she hit!


Check out the bullet hole!


Yeah, she was as shocked as we were!


The proud teacher and his prize pupil


Mama's turn!


Don't be fooled by my expression. I had 100% confidence that I was something of an expert marksman...er, markswoman.


Ready, aim...


FIRE/Close your eyes!!


Let's try that again...must have been a fluke.


NOPE! Closed my eyes EVERY time I shot the gun.
BUT...and this is a very important BUT: I hit FIVE targets with FOUR shots. Yep...with my eyes closed! Ha!


Ooooo! He shoots with his eyes open!! Bet he thinks he's a big deal!


Yep. He does ;)


Cleaning up after herself like a good lil hunter

Gigi expanded her vegetable garden this year from a couple of pots to a handful of big plots. It was a sight to behold, and provided more than enough salad and veggies for us all!






Good times around the fire:


S'mores with Papa


It got a little hot for princess, so she sat back looking cute and let him do all the work.




Not even an overcast day could put a damper on FISH FRY!





Gigi and Papa gave Harper a second birthday celebration...and the angel food cake was a HIT! She dove right in and LOVED it.







And so did Hadley :)

The Trestle Inn by day:




Why is it that Gigi always gets my girls up at/on the bar?



And the Trestle Inn by night!

Hadley's first tie dye experience was a smashing success. I hadn't tie dyed since summer camp, so it was a lot of fun for me too. I'm pretty sure I was smarter then than I am now though. At least I don't ever recall thinking it was a good idea to wear white pants while handling dye back then...Oops!





The big moment


Anxiously awaiting the big unveil!


Ta Da!!

Hadley also painted a bird house to be hung up for some happy bird family to find:



And then I finally got that Mother-Daughter kayak ride that I tried to get Hadley to take with me at the river back in July!




But I was chopped liver when it came to riding with Uncle Chris. Hadley was unabashedly in love!




Sittin on the dock of the....lake:










Papa took us on a hike to find Hadley a little tree to dig up and replant on their property, with the intention to watch it grow over the years. I LOVE this idea!








Hadley was such a big help...


As was Harper



Gigi putting the finishing touch on the little Hadley tree: a pink ribbon so we can see just how much it's grown when we come back each year.

Day trip to Grand Marais:






The International Wolf Center in Ely:


This was as close as we got to seeing one of the wolves there...it was a sleepy wolf.


Our little pup with her pup tail on


Pup 1 was a little scared to crawl into the den so Mama wolf (with clip-on tail as well) had to inspect it for monsters first.


Pups 1 & 2


Sweetest little baby pup EVER!


Sweet family time:


Snuggling at Sunset Point



Classic...we get this look a lot these days, the little stinker!



Hanging with Great Grandmommy



So smitten


Now THAT'S how you vacation!!
Thank you for such a fun adventure and so many amazing memories!
xoxo

No comments: