Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Monday, October 15, 2007

Well THAT was fun....

Just got home from the hospital! Last night we spent a lot of time counting those uncomfortable, but painless, Braxton Hicks contractions, always coming just one short of the 6 per hour that would trigger a phone call to our doctor, as that can be a sign of pre-term labor. I'm technically not full term until 37 weeks. This morning was much of the same until about noon, when they started coming more frequently. When I hit 7 in an hour I called the doctor. They told me to go straight to the hospital to get checked out. A few nervous tears later, I was at the hospital with Aron at my side, getting hooked up to a baby heart beat monitor and another monitor to watch the contractions. Aron described the sound of the baby's heart beating like the that of someone walking really fast in a pair of corduroys :) I had about 4 contractions in an hour while I was there, but they were really mild, and after a quick exam they sent me on my way. The contractions weren't causing anything to progress (edited for male readers), and they didn't see any reason to give me anything to stop them altogether since I'm far enough along, which made me feel good about Egbert's chances if this was to happen again before the due date. I have another exam tomorrow morning with my favorite doctor, so hopefully that will give me further peace of mind that everything is a-ok...and maybe a little ahead of schedule???

There was definitely a moment or two (after the initial panic) of excitement at the thought of us starting our family a month early, assuming everything would have gone smoothly. But as I'm not giving birth today, I see it as a kick in the butt for us. We need to figure out what the heck to name this baby and make a decision on a pediatrician! Had we had Egbert today, we would have still had 8 boy names and 10 girl names from which to choose :)

No comments: